Thursday, April 21, 2011

Trygg, FfD. (Felidae felis domesticus)



Things have been relatively uneventful. Trygg is serious about getting his G.E.D. However, it’s more than that. This effort is spring boarding him to further his education in other areas.

The other day, Trygg was working hard on his vocabulary. (I think his having heard Gloria Borger use the word “prebuttal” motivated him.)

“How are you doing with your vocabulary list?”

“Veni vidi vici.”

(Veni, vidi, vici?)

“You’re studying Latin?”

“Felidae, felis, domesticus.” Trygg holds up, Latin Made Simple. “Of course, there is nothing simple about Latin, he explains.

“Then, why Latin?”

“It is the basis for the five romance languages. French, Spanish, Romanian, Italian, Portuguese.”

“Keep up the good work.”

I have an uneasy feeling about this. Trygg seems to be overly sensitive about missing an education. He told me he wanted to be the first kitten in his family to graduate from High School. 

He is good at Scrabble, and I remind him of that.

“It is not about becoming pedantic. It’s about becoming a more cultured and refined cat.”

At this point I realise I will have to do something in the way of positive feedback. Positive reinforcement. Just buying him a leather-bound notebook and a nice pen won’t do it.

I decide to buy him something nice. Something special. Something wrapped in paper and a ribbon.

When I arrive home, I give to Trygg. He looks at it with suspicion.

“Is something wrong?”

“Why did you buy this for me? Is this some sort of palliative? Something to ameliorate my negative feelings about my education?

“Positive reinforcement of negative behaviour is a disincentive to motivation.”

That quieted him down for a moment. He opened the gift. He smiled.

Trygg got up, put the CD of The Brandenburg Concertos into the slot of our laptop, and listened quietly to the music. Then he came over and gave me a hug.

“I’m sorry I was so abrasive.”

“I want what’s best for you, Trygg.”

Trygg put his books away and began folding the napkins. I go to start dinner. After dinner, Trygg begins playing with the wrapping paper and ribbons. No matter how far he is planning to go in life, he is still my Trygg.

Even the cat winks =^.~=

Regards,

Slim

Copyright © 2011 Robert Asken
All rights reserved.

2 comments: