Thursday, April 14, 2011

Breakfast on the Floor

I am sitting on the floor in the kitchen, leaning up against the cabinet, drinking my coffee. Trygg is eating breakfast. This is what led up to this new arrangement.

I wake up this morning, reasonably early. No Trygg. I go out to the kitchen to pour my coffee. I see Trygg sitting in the parlour in his bathrobe, sulking. He's sitting in my spot.

I go into the kitchen. The coffee pot hasn't been plugged in. I plug it in. I can see that Trygg hasn't had breakfast yet. He's scrupulous about putting his dishes in the sink when he's finished and there are no dishes in the sink. Also he's scrupulous about plugging in the coffee. I don't say anything. I think I know what this is all about.

Last night, I sat in Trygg's chair. Trygg's chair is an overstuffed armchair in the parlour. It used to be my chair. But that was before Trygg came along. I switched to the sofa. Also before Trygg came along.

After Trygg moved in, he started to feel his way around. At one point he started taking his evening nap on the chair before going to bed. Then he started sitting on the back of the chair during the afternoons. Lately, he hasn't been using the chair at all.

I thought nothing of sitting in this comfortable, stuffed, armchair early yesterday evening. After I did, Trygg jumped up onto the back of the chair. I thought he was being friendly. So, I turned to start to pet him. He made a gesture as if he were about to nip me. I scolded him. "No biting." He swiped at me with his paw. Well, I said to myself, if that's the way you want to be, fine. I went to sit on the sofa.

Trygg got up and went to the door. I figured he wanted to make a statement. I was tempted not to let him out. But I decided to be the better person. I opened the door and let him out. Later, when he returned, everything sort of blew over.

This morning, I thought he was miffed about last night. He sometimes accuses me of over reacting. I sometimes accuse him of letting things fester. But it never gets out of hand. I mean, we're guys. When we have a little tiff, we just man up and move on. But this had nothing to do with the incident on the chair.

After I pour my coffee I sit down at the table to have my coffee. Trygg looks up.

"That's right. Sit at the table. It always has to be your way, doesn't it?"

I get up, go into the parlour, and sit next to Trygg on the sofa and look right at him.

"Okay, Trygg. What's bothering you?"

"Don't I always plug in the coffee pot every morning so you can have your coffee when you get up?"

"Yes. And I always thank you. And sometimes I return the favour by doing your dinner plates, and helping you make your bed, even though those are some of your chores. You do get an allowance."

"It's not about the money."

"What's it about?"

"When it's time for dinner, don't I always join you?"

"Yes, you do. And we're happy for the company."

"And when you have dinner, don't you always have dinner at the table?"

"Yes. No eating in the parlour. Except on special occasions."

I pause. I am beginning to see what this is all about.

"Go on," I say.

"Did you ever think that some mornings it would be nice if your joined me for breakfast on the floor?"

Now I see what has Trygg in his sulky mood.

"All right, let's go."

Trygg looks up and gives me a big smile. He takes off his bathrobe--

"First let me hang this up."

"That's okay. I'll hang it up when I go in to shave."

"Thank you."

I get up and go into the kitchen bringing my coffee with me. Trygg walks along next to me. He's looking up at me, beaming. I keep forgetting that, even though he doesn't say it, he does look up to me.

In the kitchen, I open up Trygg's breakfast, put it on his plate, and put his plate on the floor. I sit down next to him to have my coffee as he eats breakfast.

When we're through he says, "I'll get the dishes."

"That's okay. I'll do them later. You can lick yourself and go out to meet your friends."

"Thank you. And thanks for having breakfast with me on the floor."

"Actually, I enjoyed it."

After letting Trygg out, I pour another coffee and go into the parlour to watch the news.

Even the cat winks =^.~=


Sincerest regards,

Slim

Male slimfairview@yahoo.com


Copyright (c) 2011 Slim Fairview

No comments:

Post a Comment