Friday, April 8, 2011

Trygg Shows His True Character

At 8:30 this morning I am sitting on the kitchen floor playing with Trygg. Sounds okay. Here's the rest of the story.

Last night we went to bed early. Trygg decides to sleep on the bed. (Not his.) He is on my wife's side. My wife doesn't want to move because she is afraid she will wake him up. Good idea, except that she forgot to tell Trygg.

1:30 am (Another time that comes twice a day.) Trygg wakes up. He wakes me up. He wants to go out. I let him out and go back to sleep.

What happens between 1:30 and 5:30 is vague. He was in and out. My wife and I took turns. The last thing I remember is my wife telling me to turn off the alarm when got back to bed at 5:30. I go to turn off the alarm. Trygg already switched it off.

My wife got up next. She started the coffee. She came back to report that Trygg wanted to be petted while he was eating. My wife points out that this is a relatively new problem. I think Trygg is starting to feel insecure about something. After all, this is about the time of year just before we first saw him skulking about. It would be a couple of months before he felt comfortable enough to come close enough for us to feed him.

He is out again. Then he comes back. I'm finishing my coffee and two English muffins. I put my things in the sink. I go to shave.

Trygg comes to watch me shave. I don't see him. My wife comes in to tell me he's been sitting there watching me. I follow him out. He leads me to the kitchen. He eats his dry food, he eats his canned food. I sit on the floor to pet him. He starts rolling around like he's having a deep rub massage.

I ask my wife to get Trygg's toy. This is when I remembered how Trygg revealed his true character.

After he started living with us I made him a toy. I sprinkled some catnip on a napkin, rolled it up, and tied it into a knot. Sometimes we play with it together. Sometimes he plays with it by himself. He seems to have a great imagination. He just never tells me what he imagines this toy to be. But I digress.

After Trygg and I played with the toy the first couple of times, he came to me and said,

"Do you know what I really like about you?"

"What?"

"This." He holds up the toy.

"It's nothing special, Trygg."

"It is to me. You see, anyone else would have just gone to the cheap store and bought a toy with no thought. Other people would have filled the place with a lot of fancy stuff. But not you. You took the time and trouble to make something special for me. You put thought into it. And you take the time to play with me. That means a lot to a cat. A lot."

I started to get misty. So much for the aloof cat thing. Trygg really opened up. He not only appreciates the toy, he actually opened up to share his feelings with me.

The bonding time this morning was special for both of us. I went off to shower and get dressed. Trygg started to lick himself clean. By the time I was ready to leave, he was already out with his friends. He'd put his toy away. I left for work. Even the cat winks =^.~=

Regards,

Slim

Copyright (c) 2011 Slim Fairview

No comments:

Post a Comment