Thursday, March 31, 2011

Trygg's Eye Exam

Trygg wanted me to schedule him for an eye-exam. I asked him why. He said he wanted to have his vision checked.

I said, "I never saw a cat wearing glasses."

He said, "Slim, let me let you in on a big secret. Cats are vain."

I don't take the bait.

That was a couple of weeks ago. I thought he was just looking for attention. Then I get an email reminding me of his appointment. Now I'm upset.

"I thought I told you I don't want you using my email account."

"That seemed to me to be the only way to get your attention."

"You're serious about this, aren't you?"

He nodded. (Now I feel really bad.)

"I still have to say, I've never seen a cat with glasses. What do they do, wear contacts?"

He looks away. Guilt!

Anyway, I take him to have his eyes checked. The doctor said, "Slim, Trygg's vision is fine." We leave.

The next day, he comes back from roaming around and he goes straight to his supper dish as usual. Then he skulks into the bedroom. I follow him.

"All right. What are you hiding?"

He's wearing a pair of those drug-store readers. They're kind of a half-lens perched down on his nose.

"Did you spend your allowance on glasses you don't need?"

"I needed glasses."

He walks out.

When I pass through the living room to start supper, I see Trygg sitting at the table reading. I know it's wrong, but I look over his shoulder. He's reading the pet column. He's looking over the top of his glasses. Then I get it. I wear glasses. He's trying to copy me. Just like that tie thing. Now I really feel bad.

I open up a can of tuna and ask him if he'd like a snack. He appreciates the gesture, takes his glasses off, looks up at me, and smiles. I give him the tuna.

"What is it, Trygg? Really."

"I just noticed that when you have your glasses on you looked more distinguished. Intelligent."

I give him a pat on the head and go back to fixing dinner. Then I get the subtle nuance of his comment.

I go into the bedroom and stand in front of the mirror. I look at myself in front of the mirror with my glasses on. I look at myself in front of the mirror with my glasses off. I think I looked better without my glasses.

I go back into the kitchen to continue making dinner. Trygg already put the paper away. He's setting the table. I just smile. Trygg starts folding the napkins. I go back to what I was doing. Even the cat winks. =^.~=

Regards,

Slim


Copyright © 2011 Slim Fairview

No comments:

Post a Comment