Tuesday, May 17, 2011

de Trygg: Eminence Grise or Enfant Terrible

This introduces the conversation I am having with Trygg at 4:15 am.

"L'Enfant Terrible or Eminence Grise? That is the question," Trygg says.

"That is Shakespeare, and it's misquoted."

"Don't change the subject. I am at a crucial point in my life."

"As Yogi Berra said, 'When you come to a fork in the road, take it.'"

"And who am I supposed to be? Boo Boo?

(Let it go.)

"What is this crucial crisis in self you are tormenting yourself with at 4:15 in the morning."

"I am not in mourning. I am facing up to the challenge. I am seeking my identity."

"And all this time you've been telling me you're a cat, I believed you."

"Cat's are the quintessential existentialists."

"When do you ever determine your own development through sheer acts of will."

"When I decided to go for my G.E.D."

"Touche. Which brings me to the next question. After months of acting like Andy Capp, why this emphasis on the Gallic? And, please, spare me the pun.:

"My Latin. Imperium Galliarum. And it wouldn't hurt you to posh things up a bit. Croissant instead of biscuits. Cafe instead of coffee. Filet de Boeuf en Croûte with a duxelle filling."

At this point I notice Trygg is drinking his water from a demitasse. I also notice he separate his chicken and cheese onto two plates.

"And here I am having a cup of coffee and a piece of toast." I regretted the words as soon as I said them.

"Not French Toast?"

"Ran out of maple syrup."

"That's French-Canadian."

I have a feeling this is not going to get better.

"I'll clean up. You go read your paper."

I go into the parlour to read the paper. Trygg is quietly moving things about in the kitchen.

Trygg comes in dragging a book.

(A book?)

"No iPad this morning?'

"iPad?"

"On-line dictionary."

"This is the la Rousse."

"Anything like the sauraus."

"Nothing to do with dinosaurs, mon ami."

(How did I know that was coming?)

"Though a dictionary, hmph, I mean, sérieuse-ment."

I see Trygg has his notebook out again. The good one I bought him after he moved in. I am about to ask him what this is all about, but I am not up to a litany on etiquette at this hour. And, too, he remembered the rule: No fountain pen on the sofa.

Trygg closes his eyes and smiles. I am beginning to suspect something. While he's smiling with his eyes closed is a good time to find out.

"How is Kelly, bon ami?"

"Mmm, ooh la la."

"Is Kelly French?"

"On her Mother's side."

"Don't forget iris."

"Iris? Whom is Iris?"

(Whom?)

"When you go to see Kelly. Aller à visiter. Bring Kelly some irides. Flowers."

"Ah! Iris latifolia."

"Of course."

"Great idea. Je vous remercie! May I leave now?

I get up to let Trygg out. I imagine I shall have to weather the storm. Still, if it helps him to improve his manners....


Even the cat winks =^.~=

Regards,

Slim

slimfairview@yahoo.com


Copyright (c) 2011 Slim Fairview

2 comments:

  1. You need more sleep, Slim. Trygg is really getting to you. LMAO!

    Sophia Butterbottom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sophia,

    This is the first comment that has me laughing out loud.

    Slim

    ReplyDelete